And so it goes...

.......This is a blog where my other self exists in any number of the dimensions of Time and Space........... .

Saturday 23 January 2010

William Blake & 1967

and it is 1967....1st form Kuringai High School, bigger Kids much bigger kids, some very scary teachers,,very scary.. more than a bit terrifying at times..and every Thursday period 1 , Big Bill Eason, in his academic robe and carrying a cane , booming voice reciting Poetry to 10 classes of 1st formers crammed into 4 rooms , those rooms with the folding back walls..and this is the only poem I can remember..but remember it well I do..

And Did Those Feet In Ancient Time

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment